NoFire Technologies Helps Ships Meet SOLAS
In December 1996 the IMO adopted amendments to the SOLAS Convention that affect fire safety measures aboard ships. The amendments encompass a new International Code for the Application of Fire Test Procedures, which has been made mandatory on or after July 1.
These significant changes affect Chapter II-2 of the SOLAS Code, Construction- Fire protection, fire detection and fire extinction. Regulation 34 requires nearly all exposed and concealed surfaces to have low flame-spread characteristics, as well as all paints not being capable of producing an excessive amount of smoke and toxic products.
In response to these new amendments and guidelines. NoFire Technologies, located in Upper Saddle River, N.J. has developed NoFire A-18 paint, which has been tested at Southwest Research Institute of San Antonio, Texas, exceeding requirements and complying with Reso- lution A.653(161) and Resolution M S C . 4 1 ( 6 4 ) .
NoFire A-18 has Type Approval from the U.S.
Coast Guard, ABS, DNV and Lloyd's Register for use on all vessels.
The preceding was excerpted from an article written by Dr. Samuel Gottfried, DEE. PhD; NoFire's president/chief technical officer.
Circle 97 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from April 2000 issue
- Corsaire 13000 Embodies Integrated, Advanced Propulsion System page: 48D
- Jotun: Greening the trade in crude page: 8
- Financing Sources for U.S. Government Programs page: 14
- Deltamarin And Almaco Join Together page: 18
- ASRY Reports Prosperous 1999 page: 18
- A New View page: 20
- The Smokeless Solution Is Coming Over The Horizon page: 22
- Strategic Value Adding Purchasing page: 28
- DCR Optimistic About Future Of Offshore Drilling Sector page: 34
- Offshore Industry Leaders Invest Heavily In Safety Programs page: 36
- Electronic Engines Power New OSV Breed page: 40
- Angola And Canada Provide Projects For Smit Pioneer page: 40
- Rig Repowered At Houston Ship Repair page: 41
- Charting The World Electronically page: 44
- Reality Checked page: 45
- NoFire Technologies Helps Ships Meet SOLAS page: 48
- Is Diesel-Electric Propulsion the System for You? page: 50
- Drew Marine, MAN B&W Launch Redesigned Fuel Mill page: 52
- Austal Breaks 24-Hour Record page: 53
- PropExpert V. 4.2 Released page: 53
- GE To Supply Gas Turbines For IHI page: 54
- Jabsco Offers Oil Change Kit page: 54
- Calling All Mariners page: 56
- MTN, BT Hook-Up Cruise Ships To Cell Phone Network page: 59
- Norwegian Manufacturers Maintain Edge page: 60
- Leica Extends Its Influence In DGPS Arena page: 69
- ViaSat Ups Phase Two page: 69
- Encouraging best practice onboard using video and interactive media page: 73
- Blount Completes Dinner Vessel page: 74
- ACCL Offers New Chicago-Based Cruises page: 78
- Boatracs To Exclusively Distribute MarStar page: 78
- DNV Cleans Up With Celebrity's Millennium page: 79
- Transas Unveils GMDSS Simulator page: 85