Emergency Sends S.S. Matsonia to Pearl Harbor Yard
A propulsion casualty aboard the 760-ft. (231.6-m) SS Matsonia in June created a unique opportunity for the private sector and the Navy to work together and maintain a vital supply line to Hawaii — a cooperative effort between Pearl Harbor Navy Shipyard and Honolulu Shipyard, Inc.
The Matson flagship vessel, which experienced an intermediate shaft failure 700 miles off Oahu, was brought to the Navy's 1,100-ft.
(335.2-m) dry dock — the largest of four - for emergency repairs on June 23, 2003. It is the largest ship to be dry-docked at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard since the USS Yorktown in May 1942.
Bill Clifford, president and CEO of Honolulu Shipyard also noted that the cooperation and teamwork demonstrated between agencies (government, military and private) is unprecedented tor this type of emergency repair effort.
U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie. (D-Hawaii). is working on a pilot program at Pearl Harbor that would bring one of the 11 maritime pre-position ships that act as forward- based stocks of U.S. military equipment in the Pacific. The ships bypass Hawaii, pass through the Panama Canal, offload equipment in Florida, and head up the East Coast for repairs that keep them out of operation for four months — twice as long as they would be if they dry docked in Hawaii.
Circle 58 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 2003 issue
- Letters page: 9
- Admiral Loy, Grace Allen Receive Silver Bell Honors page: 10
- Carrier for a New Energy Source page: 11
- Exhaust System Could Be Expanded to Entire Fleet page: 11
- Bollinger Delivers Supply Boat to Seacor page: 12
- Confused Seas page: 14
- Concordia Again Leads Tanker Innovation page: 16
- Intermarine Launches G5 Oltramonti page: 17
- Bottom Line: It's Not Just A Paint Job page: 18
- Hempel Extends Range page: 18
- Nichols Bros. Launch Sternwheeler Cruise Ship page: 23
- Keppel to Deliver Maersk Rig Early page: 23
- Evergreen Orders 10 Post-Panamax Containerships page: 24
- USS Ronald Reagan Commissioned page: 25
- Littoral Combat Ship: It's Down to 3 page: 26
- Manitowoc, Kvichak Team for USCG Boats page: 29
- MV Manukai Christened at Philly Shipyard page: 30
- Emergency Sends S.S. Matsonia to Pearl Harbor Yard page: 30
- SENESCO Provides Major Facelift for NOAA page: 31
- Northrop Grumman Christens San Antonio page: 31
- Power to the Surveyor page: 32
- Wartsila: A Fountain of Ideas page: 33
- What Should be the Role of Class? page: 34
- RIB Report Northwind's Enforcer Provides Special Services page: 38
- Rough Water "New RIB on the Block" page: 40
- Salvors Forge Their Way into the Future page: 42
- Geislinger Delivers Record Sized Coupling page: 51
- Alstom Alspa Drive Fitted on Reasearch Vessel page: 51
- DNV's Five Points Fight Substandard Ships page: 55
- Strength Through Unity page: 55