Geislinger Delivers Record Sized Coupling
Geislinger GmbH recently delivered its biggest torsional elastic coupling — a coupling with an outer diameter of 2.8- m and a weight of 36.3 tons. The coupling will be built into the drive line of a VLCC tanker, with an energy saving counter-rotating double propeller. More than 2,000 single parts were produced in the Geislinger works in Bad St.
Leonhard and assembled in the works in Salzburg. The coupling transmits half of the 27.160 KW engine power at 74 rpm and in this way protects the gear box, which changes the direction of rotation for the backwards running propeller.
This causes the energy of the swirling water in the gushing of the propeller to be used and therefore the degree of effectiveness is increased by about 14 percent. About 10 years ago three ships with this innovative CRP system plus Geislinger coupling were supplied from the same shipyard. All these systems were produced in Japan the largest one is scheduled to be built.
In order to monitor the function of the world's largest coupling BE 280/60/140U Geislinger has delivered a highly modern electronic system called Geislinger Monitoring GMS Mark 4.
This equipment is supplied with sensor signals and assists the ship owner, among other things, to save maintenance costs.
Circle 83 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 2003 issue
- Letters page: 9
- Admiral Loy, Grace Allen Receive Silver Bell Honors page: 10
- Carrier for a New Energy Source page: 11
- Exhaust System Could Be Expanded to Entire Fleet page: 11
- Bollinger Delivers Supply Boat to Seacor page: 12
- Confused Seas page: 14
- Concordia Again Leads Tanker Innovation page: 16
- Intermarine Launches G5 Oltramonti page: 17
- Bottom Line: It's Not Just A Paint Job page: 18
- Hempel Extends Range page: 18
- Nichols Bros. Launch Sternwheeler Cruise Ship page: 23
- Keppel to Deliver Maersk Rig Early page: 23
- Evergreen Orders 10 Post-Panamax Containerships page: 24
- USS Ronald Reagan Commissioned page: 25
- Littoral Combat Ship: It's Down to 3 page: 26
- Manitowoc, Kvichak Team for USCG Boats page: 29
- MV Manukai Christened at Philly Shipyard page: 30
- Emergency Sends S.S. Matsonia to Pearl Harbor Yard page: 30
- SENESCO Provides Major Facelift for NOAA page: 31
- Northrop Grumman Christens San Antonio page: 31
- Power to the Surveyor page: 32
- Wartsila: A Fountain of Ideas page: 33
- What Should be the Role of Class? page: 34
- RIB Report Northwind's Enforcer Provides Special Services page: 38
- Rough Water "New RIB on the Block" page: 40
- Salvors Forge Their Way into the Future page: 42
- Geislinger Delivers Record Sized Coupling page: 51
- Alstom Alspa Drive Fitted on Reasearch Vessel page: 51
- DNV's Five Points Fight Substandard Ships page: 55
- Strength Through Unity page: 55