Intermarine Launches G5 Oltramonti
Known as G5 Oltramonti, the Bigliani Class V Series patrol boat was launched on July 16, 2003 at Intermarine shipyard in Sarzana, Italy. The launching ceremony, which featured the boat's Godmother, Annaniaria Oltramonti, was also attended by representatives from Guardia di Finanza, and General Castore Palmerini, chief of the Ligurian Area Comman. Mrs.
Oltramonti is a direct descendant of Commander Aldo Oltramonti, for whom the vessel is named. Commander Oltramonti was recognized for his military valor during WWII with a Medal of Honor. The vessel's launching occurred exactly one month earlier than its previously scheduled time. It is the third patrol boat launched this year by the shipyard and proceeds G3 Di Bartolo.
which was launched in February and G4 Avallone, which debuted in May.
Designated at the Bigliani V Series Class, each vessel measures 115 ft. (35 m) and is built in composite materials.
The vessel trio is capable of running at speeds of 35 knots with operational flexibility.
The most recent vessel, G5 Oltramonti, which will be delivered in eight months, is part of a larger contract the shipyard has signed with Guardia di Finanza for the construction of an additional 10, 27-in patrol boats that will clock in at 40 knots. The first ship is scheduled for delivery at the end of this year.
Circle 77 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 2003 issue
- Letters page: 9
- Admiral Loy, Grace Allen Receive Silver Bell Honors page: 10
- Carrier for a New Energy Source page: 11
- Exhaust System Could Be Expanded to Entire Fleet page: 11
- Bollinger Delivers Supply Boat to Seacor page: 12
- Confused Seas page: 14
- Concordia Again Leads Tanker Innovation page: 16
- Intermarine Launches G5 Oltramonti page: 17
- Bottom Line: It's Not Just A Paint Job page: 18
- Hempel Extends Range page: 18
- Nichols Bros. Launch Sternwheeler Cruise Ship page: 23
- Keppel to Deliver Maersk Rig Early page: 23
- Evergreen Orders 10 Post-Panamax Containerships page: 24
- USS Ronald Reagan Commissioned page: 25
- Littoral Combat Ship: It's Down to 3 page: 26
- Manitowoc, Kvichak Team for USCG Boats page: 29
- MV Manukai Christened at Philly Shipyard page: 30
- Emergency Sends S.S. Matsonia to Pearl Harbor Yard page: 30
- SENESCO Provides Major Facelift for NOAA page: 31
- Northrop Grumman Christens San Antonio page: 31
- Power to the Surveyor page: 32
- Wartsila: A Fountain of Ideas page: 33
- What Should be the Role of Class? page: 34
- RIB Report Northwind's Enforcer Provides Special Services page: 38
- Rough Water "New RIB on the Block" page: 40
- Salvors Forge Their Way into the Future page: 42
- Geislinger Delivers Record Sized Coupling page: 51
- Alstom Alspa Drive Fitted on Reasearch Vessel page: 51
- DNV's Five Points Fight Substandard Ships page: 55
- Strength Through Unity page: 55