Manitowoc, Kvichak Team for USCG Boats
The Manitowoc Company, Inc. and its subsidiary, Marinette Marine Corporation, will partner with Kvichak Marine Industries, Inc. to develop and construct a prototype Response Boat Medium (RB-M) for the U.S. Coast Guard. Kvichak. located in Seattle with full-service waterfront facilities, will build the prototype RB-M. Using a design developed by Camarc, Ltd., Marinette Marine will serve as the prime contractor and program manager for the project - a $2.5-million test boat expected in late 2003.
The Marinette/Kvichak team, along with two other contractors, will each build a RB-M test boat as part of the competitive process. After evaluating each prototype vessel, conducting extensive sea trials, and reviewing competitive proposals from the shipyards, the Coast Guard intends to award a contract for a fleet of approximately 180 RB-M vessels to replace its aging fleet of 41-ft.
Utility Boats. The six-year contract is expected to be awarded in 2004.
Marinette and Kvichak will share vessel construction if awarded the production contract.
The new vessel fleet, which will perform missions such as homeland security and search-and-rescue operations, will exceed speeds up to 40 knots. The upgraded fleet will be safer, more efficient, and more cost-effective for the Coast Guard to operate and maintain due to standardized systems, improved maintenance, and logistics support capabilities.
Circle 9 for Marinette Marine Circle 10 for Kvichak
Other stories from August 2003 issue
- Letters page: 9
- Admiral Loy, Grace Allen Receive Silver Bell Honors page: 10
- Carrier for a New Energy Source page: 11
- Exhaust System Could Be Expanded to Entire Fleet page: 11
- Bollinger Delivers Supply Boat to Seacor page: 12
- Confused Seas page: 14
- Concordia Again Leads Tanker Innovation page: 16
- Intermarine Launches G5 Oltramonti page: 17
- Bottom Line: It's Not Just A Paint Job page: 18
- Hempel Extends Range page: 18
- Nichols Bros. Launch Sternwheeler Cruise Ship page: 23
- Keppel to Deliver Maersk Rig Early page: 23
- Evergreen Orders 10 Post-Panamax Containerships page: 24
- USS Ronald Reagan Commissioned page: 25
- Littoral Combat Ship: It's Down to 3 page: 26
- Manitowoc, Kvichak Team for USCG Boats page: 29
- MV Manukai Christened at Philly Shipyard page: 30
- Emergency Sends S.S. Matsonia to Pearl Harbor Yard page: 30
- SENESCO Provides Major Facelift for NOAA page: 31
- Northrop Grumman Christens San Antonio page: 31
- Power to the Surveyor page: 32
- Wartsila: A Fountain of Ideas page: 33
- What Should be the Role of Class? page: 34
- RIB Report Northwind's Enforcer Provides Special Services page: 38
- Rough Water "New RIB on the Block" page: 40
- Salvors Forge Their Way into the Future page: 42
- Geislinger Delivers Record Sized Coupling page: 51
- Alstom Alspa Drive Fitted on Reasearch Vessel page: 51
- DNV's Five Points Fight Substandard Ships page: 55
- Strength Through Unity page: 55