Maersk Durban: Innovative Panamax Containership
Maersk Durban (Jennifer Rickmers) is the series vessel adopting a new panamax length design of 964.7 ft. (294 m).
Hanjin has developed and designed the vessel themselves, and have attracted orders 32 units, making it one of the most popular design in its class.
The ship has been designed to move flexibly both in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans through the Panama Canal. This ship offers the maximum intake of 5,060 TEU, the largest intake capacity among the Panamax class container ships at present. It is composed of six holds, each capable of holding 1 stacks of hicube containers and also equipped with cell guides exclusively for 40 ft. containers together with fittings for the 20 ft. container, which enhances loading flexibility. On deck it is even more flexible due to the loading ability of 20/40/45 ft. containers including separate loading facility for special cargos like dangerous cargoes and 454 refrigerated FEU.
The accommodation is equipped with convenient facilities for a total of 35 person including accommodation for 6 Suez-canal crews. Recent sea trials show a marked reduction in noise and vibration levels. An HSD-built MAN B&W 9K90MC-C has been mounted, providing a trial speed of 23 knots when operating at 15% sea margin (90% MCR) at the scantling draft of 13.5 m.
Needless to say, the supply material and accessory features are arranged based on the environment-friendly design. The major machineries and electronics are the ones whose performance has been verified through plenty of testing periods for the easy operations and also has been selected among the makers familiar to the operators.
Other stories from December 2004 issue
- Seville Shipyard Delivers Ferry to ENTMV page: 7
- U.S. Ocean Dumping Act page: 10
- Continuous Flooding Simulation page: 14
- Mark Your Calendar page: 15
- Great Ships of 2004 page: 18
- CMA CGM Hugo: A 8,200 TEU Class Containership page: 25
- "World's Largest" Heavy Lift Ship Enters Service page: 26
- Golar Viking, A 140,000 cu. m. Membrane LNG Carrier page: 26
- Maersk Durban: Innovative Panamax Containership page: 27
- Ardenne Venture, A 318,000 DWT VLCC page: 27
- Meeting the Ballast Water Challenge page: 31
- New Towing Module page: 32
- Enzian Ships Get Complete Cargo Solution page: 32
- NorMar Introduced page: 34
- Allied Systems Tapped by Coast Guard page: 35